Sunday, July 30, 2017

Asian Pork Belly on the Big Green Egg.

This dish is simply unctuous, in a good way! Tender, creamy pork belly braised for over 4 hours on the Big Green Egg was the perfect thing to make on a scorching 106 degree day. The heat of the Texas summers never ceases to amaze me and makes me yearn for the Rockies. I feel very grateful to have a pool to plunge in while dinner cooks on the Green Egg, as it is too hot to cook indoors with this God forsaken heat. They had some lovely pork belly at our local HEB grocers, so I bought a pound and it turned out even better than I imagined!






My favorite rub is Pineapple Dizzy Dust!! Get ya some ASAP!!!!!

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound pork belly- cut into 4 squares (I froze two for later use).
Pineapple Head Dizzy Dust
1 bottle gluten free sweet soy sauce or teriyaki sauce
2 cups rich chicken stock
2 tbs sesame seeds
2 cloves garlic- lightly crushed
1 small nob of ginger (about a tablespoons)- roughly sliced.
1 red onion sliced
Several pineapple chunks

I generously rubbed the pork with Dizzy dust and let it relax in the fridge over night.

The next day I slathered a half a bottle of SPF on myself, donned a big sun hat, opened up the umbrellas and lit up the Big Green Egg with hickory wood to 225 degrees. We like BG Brand charcoal.

With the the plate setter on indirect cook, we gently placed the bellies fat side up on the grate and smoked it for an hour and a half.

Then in an aluminum pan we added all the remaining ingredients and placed the bellies in the braising liquid, fat side up and raised the temp to 275 degrees and smoked them for 4.5 hours until tender and the fat was rendered on top and crispy. We basted it every 30 minutes with the pan sauce.

 2 hours in above.


3 hours in above

Once the skin is crisp, remove from pan and let it rest 20 minutes before slicing. Holy Mother this was sinfully delicious and would be great in tacos, with fried rice or on a salad, as I served it. I had some fresh local peaches and spinach and drizzled it with orange vinaigrette for a simple, yet sinfully delicious experience. This freezes well and is easily reheated in a non stick skillet until warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! All comments must be approved by the Beecave Kitchen before posting. Happy Cooking!