This year we are heading to a cousin's home for Thanksgiving, but just to play it safe, I've made my own dressing/stuffing that's gluten free. I made a batch for the office pot luck and it was quite a hit, so I thought it would be nice to pass along the recipe for my fellow GF family and friends. I adapted this recipe from a Mario Battali recipe and the sweetness of the apple and anise flavor of the fennel add an interesting twist to traditional dressing. It truly is the perfect marriage of sweet and savory.
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and freshly Ground Pepper
- 1.5 pound Sweet Italian Fennel Sausage (casings removed)
- 1 Yellow Onion (diced)
- 1 rib celery
- 1 bulb Fennel (thinly sliced or diced)
- 1 cup toasted walnuts or chestnuts (roughly chopped- I omitted them the second time as I forgot to get some at the store and they really add something special.)
- 2 large Apples (grated with a cheese grater)
- 5 cups Gluten Free Corn Bread (cubed and toasted about 10 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees)
- 1/4 cup Fresh Italian Parsley (chopped)
- 1 tbs Dried Sage
- 1 tbs Onion Powder
- 1 tsp fennel pollen (you can sub toasted fennel seeds and crush them).
- 2 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup melted Butter
In a large saucepan, brown the sausage in the olive oil until cooked through, remove and put it on a platter. Then, saute the fennel, onion, celery and apple until softened. About 10 minutes.
MAKE AHEAD: Sausage and veggies can be made two days ahead and mixed with bread and stock just before cooking. The cornbread can be made a few weeks ahead and frozen.
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment! All comments must be approved by the Beecave Kitchen before posting. Happy Cooking!