Friday, March 22, 2013

Caprese Breakfast Croissant Sandwich


I was filled with delight when an authentic French bakery opened directly across the street from my neighborhood a few years ago. Baguette et Chocolat is run by a remarkably gifted Versailles born French baker trained at the esteemed Institut National de la Boulangerie Pâtisserie and I promise you, his goods taste EXACTLY like those found in a french patisserie. I'm off of wheat for right now, so thought I'd torture myself a bit by posting this sublime sandwich, which is a perfect start to a lazy Saturday.

My hubs kindly suggested we pick up some fresh croissants before they ran out (usually by 10am- they are that good!). It's no secret that I adore caprese salad and I just happened to have some fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil and a farm fresh egg, so thought they'd make a happy little partnership; I was correct. Fabulousness!!

And it's super easy... just thinly slice a tomato, salt it and layer it on a slightly warmed croissant with fresh mozzarella, basil, a drizzle of peppery olive oil and a fried egg. Nestle into a buttery croissant and enjoy!

Fold it closed and take a big bite...

**
And if you don't live near Westlake or Bee Cave, you should still make the 20 minute drive from town to try this lovely little cafe. And don't be in a rush! It's very French and operates at a French pace. The salad nicoise is also a huge hit as are the fresh, eggy crepes filled with either sweet or savory treats.


**note to my trainer... I didn't eat the hash browns - I promise. but I DID eat the whole sandwich and it was worth the calories!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! All comments must be approved by the Beecave Kitchen before posting. Happy Cooking!