Monday, June 3, 2013

Smoked Tomato Caprese Salad

Before we built our pool we had a really nice raised garden, but having suffered through too many boiling hot, swampy summers, we opted for a pool so the garden had to go. I plan to build another garden soon, but in the meantime have a cute little patio garden growing and once I returned form our recent holiday, the tomatoes were ripe and sweet and ready to eat. I've posted a recipe for smoked tomatoes and Buratta cheese and thought I'd copy the same concept with my home grown tomatoes. This recipe was featured in my recent post on rosemary chicken and it's so good I thought it deserved a post of its own.

Smoking the tomatoes first makes them super juicy and bursting with rich tomato juices. We heated our Big Green Egg to about 200 over oak wood. I salted and wrapped the tomatoes in foil, drizzled a bit of oil on them and roasted them till they were just about to blister- roughly 20-30 minutes. I then let them cool to room temp, added fresh basil and some gorgeous little Mozzarella Bocconcini balls, sprinkled a little more coarse salt plus a drizzle of balsamic and olive oil and enjoyed the sweet taste of summer.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! All comments must be approved by the Beecave Kitchen before posting. Happy Cooking!