Sunday, December 8, 2013

Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup

Another freezing cold day brought on a craving for some hot soup with a Tex Mex flavor profile. I used to love Chili's enchilada soup, but I'm not a fan of the quality of their ingredients, so I rooted around on the internet and found a pretty good knock off at www.iwashyoudry.com and used it as inspiration for this rich, decadent and GLUTEN FREE soup. This makes about 8 cups or servings and freezes really well for another cold winter's eve.


INGREDIENTS
8 cups organic chicken stock
2 whole roasted organic chicken breasts
1 large diced onion
1 12 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 can red enchilada sauce
10 ounces velveeta cheese
1 cup Masa Harina (superfine ground corn meal)
1 tsp cumin
1 tbs garlic powder
1 tbs onion powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup olive oil

I sprinkled two whole chicken breasts with salt and pepper and roasted them at 420 for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile I sweated some onions in olive oil until softened, stirred in the masa and stirred it for about 3 minutes until it became fragrant and toasty. I then added the chicken stock, enchilada sauce and tomatoes plus spices.

I pulled the meat from the bones and stored it in the fridge and added the bones to the soup for enhanced flavor. Covered and let it simmer about 30 minutes. I removed the bay leaf and bones and I then poured the soup in our vitamix blender in small batches and pureed until smooth. I transferred the blended soup back into the pot, added the cheese and shredded chicken and reheated it to melt the cheese. Serve with a drizzle of sour cream or fresh chopped cilantro (which I didn't have and that was a bummer).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! All comments must be approved by the Beecave Kitchen before posting. Happy Cooking!