Friday, April 12, 2013

Panko Crusted Oven "Fried" Pork Chop with Wasabi Smashers

My Daddy used to make the most sinfully delish fried porkchops. Such a treat- even though my delicate and slender mother wasn't really a fan, Daddy and I could tuck into a couple with no problem. Of course that's when I had a metabolism. Hubs decided he wanted some porkchops, so I thought, "Why not try to make Daddy's a wee bit healthier??" I decided to try "frying" them in the oven and they turned out sinfully delish without the guilt! I was super excited to find Ian's Panko crumbs are now available gluten free and I find the crumbs taste exactly like wheat crumbs. Score!

First I brined the pork chops for three hours- this really makes them stay nice and tender and flavorful.

BRINE:
4 thin cut bone in porkchops (I bought Berkshire breed- so tender!)
3 cups buttermilk
1 tbs sea salt
1 tbs garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp fresh cracked pepper
1 tsp sugar

                             Throw it all in a ziploc bag and place in the fridge for 3-4 hours.

Then, remove the chops from the fridge and let them sit for 30 minutes to warm them up a bit to avoid the crust over cooking and the meat under cooking.

Set up a dredging station- 1 bowl with two beaten eggs and a dash of buttermilk and another bowl with the panko crumbs.

Dip each pork chop first in eggs, then in panko and then place them on an oiled cooling rack set over a cookie sheet with foil. Spray the chops well with cooking spray.

Place them in an oven preheated to 415 degrees for about 30 minutes until golden brown and the pork is 165 degrees. We broiled them for about a minute to really crunch them up before letting them rest for 5 minutes before serving.


Done!

Meanwhile...  boil 2 peeled and chopped russet potatoes*** for about 25 minutes until fork tender. With a strainer, lift the potatoes from the water and put them in a bowl with 1/4 cup skim milk, 1 tbs wasabi (I like it really spicy- so adjust to taste), 1 tbs smart balance butter substitute, and salt to taste. Place the bowl over the pot you cooked the potatoes in to keep them warm and smash them by hand with a fork. These are rustic potatoes, and I know wasabi mashers are soooo 1995, but they are fab with the panko pork chops. I served them with green peas- I love peas. And my mother would only allow me to eat them "properly" and that was to balance them on the back of my fork ever so delicately. I always feel guilty if I just scoop them ;-) So balancing peas continues to this day.




*** My trainer suggested a healthier version than starchy potatoes- Steam 2 cups of cauliflower for 20 minutes and make them just like the mashed potatoes. Genius!! Thanks James :-)

1 comment:

  1. Another amazing cook. I was planning on making chicken legs tonight, but now I totally want to scrap that idea and make these pork chops. Ok, I guess I can wait till tomorrow, but I'll be doing the cauliflower "taters" instead.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! All comments must be approved by the Beecave Kitchen before posting. Happy Cooking!