Monday, August 27, 2012

Easy, Low Fat Baked Frittata

My friend Amy is not only a lovely and fun lady, but she is also a very fit and healthy lady! She lives a strict gluten free diet and every Sunday makes egg "muffins" that she easily heats the following week for breakfast. I've been doing lots of smoothies such as kale and almond milk, etc. for breakfast in our fab new Vitamix blender lately but frankly, I'm starting to tire of it.  I really prefer savory, hot stuff in the morning, but never have the time nor the inclination to cook before a busy day of work and the gym.  My trainer has been really pushing me to go no carb, so I thought I'd use Amy as my inspiration and make my breakfast ahead of time for the week.  She makes a mix of egg whites and low fat cheese and bakes them in muffin tins.  She also makes a killer bean dip I need to post. As a matter of fact, a bunch of my friends make really yummy things that I should post. You should see the tasty treats my friend Kija can whip up!!

Anyway, I couldn't find my muffin tins (How does that just disappear??), so decided to make mine more of a frittata style and cut them into squares. This turned out to be delicious and so tasty! It's a great way to use up left over veggies, meats, cheese etc. and was super easy. The pictures aren't that great as I took them in the evening in low light, but they store easily in the fridge for the week and cook up quickly for 40 seconds in the microwave. You can freeze them, but take note that when you reheat them, they will lose some water, so cook them on an unbleached and untreated paper towel in the microwave (I learned that bleached and treated paper towels leach bad toxins in the microwave- yikes!!).


INGREDIENTS
8 egg whites plus 2 whole eggs
2 tbs 2% Greek yoghurt (great substitute for heavy cream)
1 cup low fat mozzarella or Italian cheese blend
1/4 cup fresh parmesan
1 cup carmelized onions (diced onions, cooked on low heat in a little olive oil and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar for about 20 minutes in a non stick pan)
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
3 tbs freshly chopped basil, plus 1 tbs dried basil or oregano. whatever fresh herbs are in season or your herb garden will be great.
1 tsp garlic powder
2 slices deli ham, chopped

In a bowl, whip eggs and yogurt until slightly frothy, combine all the ingredients and pour into a 9x9 glass or porcelain baking dish that has been lightly greased with olive oil. Set on middle rack in a 400 degree pre-heated oven and cook about 40 minutes until a knife inserted in the middle comes out moist, but not wet.

Allow to cool about 20 minutes and divide into 12 squares (or 9 if you want a heartier portion), keep refrigerated for up to 5 days in a sealed container. According to the great site My Fitness Pal this recipe is only 3 grams of fat and 100 calories a serving!

All packed up and ready for the week!

A quick zap in the microwave the next morning and voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! All comments must be approved by the Beecave Kitchen before posting. Happy Cooking!