Sunday, October 20, 2013

Gluten Free Pizza Rustica on the Big Green Egg

My new gluten free lifestyle has been pretty easy to get adjusted to so far. While I try to be 90% Paleo, I sometimes need a little "cheat treat" to keep life enjoyable. It is simply gorgeous outside today and the hubby wanted to make pizza. So I made him a fabulous pie with my Tipo 00 flour using this recipe and then followed up with my own GF version. And you know what? It was quite possibly the best GF pizza I've ever had!! I've tried a few of them at restaurants and they're all kind of weird tasting and tough. This one was very "doughy", with a crispy bottom and chewy center... and totally satisfied my pizza cravings without making me feel like I'm missing out. I was sort of depressed watching the hubby's gorgeous crust puff up and brown, and while this one didn't get as puffy, it was very light and airy. Success!!



INGREDIENTS
1.5 cups sparkling water warmed to 105 degrees
4 cups Gluten Free Bread flour (I like Pamela's brand the best of them all)
1 tbs active dry yeast
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried oregano
pinch of sea salt
olive oil to grease the bowl

For the dough, I heated up some sparkling water until 105 degrees, added 1 tbs active dry yeast and let the yeast come alive for about 10 minutes. I've found that using sparkling water in GF doughs really adds some springy bounce to it.

In my kitchen aid mixer I added 4 cups of Pamela's Gluten Free Bread and Pizza dough, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 teaspoon dried oregano and a healthy pinch of sea salt. I added the yeast water and mixed the dough for about 10 minutes.

 After three hours.

I oiled a ceramic bowl with olive oil, placed the dough ball in there and covered with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel and let it "rise" for 3 hours on the counter. While it certainly doesn't puff up like my glorious wheat dough, it did get kind of springy. The recipe on the box said to par cook the dough, but I didn't. I just rolled it out on the counter with a little more GF flour, added my toppings (fresh mozzarella, onions and pepperoni) and placed it on parchment paper dusted with corn meal. The corn meal adds a nice rustic crunch to the dough. I placed it in the Big Green Egg on the pizza stone for 8 minutes at 650 degrees.

No tough, weird dough here! This crust is legit!

** Side Note**
One rainy evening we decided we wanted pizza with a big, fresh salad but since it was rainy we placed our Big Green Egg pizza stone in our oven and let it heat at 550 degrees for 30 minutes. I made some GF pizza dough and topped it with buffalo mozzarella, shredded fontina, olive oil, sliced onions, prosciutto, olives and sliced figs. I dusted my pizza peel with corn meal, added the dough, topped it and slid it in the oven for 10 minutes until crispy and bubbly. It was fabulous drizzled with balsamic glaze!! I had to share the pictures as the toppings combo was really wonderful.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing wrong with a bit of cheating and nothing wrong with the way that pizza looks. Just shared that with my brother (and the previous bread recipe) as he's just gone gluten free and is struggling with bread.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! All comments must be approved by the Beecave Kitchen before posting. Happy Cooking!